This Infusion Nurse must demonstrate proficient skills in providing professional nursing care to assigned patients needing intravenous treatment. They will administer intravenous treatments as directed by a physician and determine the appropriate venipuncture and/or catheter site. In addition, they will observe patients’ intravenous treatment, record observations in inpatient medical records, and provide information to patients and families regarding intravenous treatment and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This person must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Provide high-quality, skilled infusion therapy.
- Highly skilled at starting intravenous lines and accessing ports and PICC lines.
- Monitor patient status and medication being administered for the duration of infusion.
- Safely perform all patient care responsibilities following professional standards and the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Effectively determine and set priorities to meet patient needs.
- Provide proper and accurate documentation of patient care in the patient’s medical record.
- Ensure that patients receive timely and appropriate care within the delivery system and facilitates internal and external referrals.
- Administer medications, treatments, and contrast agents according to the specific orders of the ordering physician and document them in the patient record.
- Maintain infection control precautions and identifies potential infection control problems.
- Provide in-service education to members of the interdisciplinary team within the department.
- Participate in quality assurance activities within the department.
- Participate in annual recertification training, compliance training, and HIPAA training, as well as all other mandatory in-service programs.
- Conform to policies and regulations governing patient rights and confidentiality of information.
- Perform inventory count before and after clinic and submit daily.
- Communicate supply needs as needed.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by management.
- Obtain satisfaction surveys from patients.
- Collect co-pays as required.
- Call no-show patients to reschedule.
- Be knowledgeable about the medications to be administered.
- Mix medication per policy and procedure.
- Adhere to Medicaid and Medicare regulations.
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
- Active Registered Nurse license in the state(s) of practice.
- Minimum of one year of infusion nursing experience as an RN.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Infusion nursing experience
- Experience with EMR documentation systems.
- Current on required continuing education units.
- Board certification or additional nursing certifications.
The above list reflects the essential functions and other job functions considered necessary for the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job or assigned by supervisory personnel. This job description is used as a guide only and is not inclusive of responsibilities and job duties.